Kindergarden students were treated to a visit by the New England Aquarium to experience their “Tide Pools Alive” program on Tuesday May 23. The kids studied tide pool animals and learned about their body parts and how they behave. They were also able to dress up in a sea star costume as well as touch the live animals (including sea stars, snails, mussels, clams and hermit crabs). Here are some photos of today’s visit.
Visit our online store at www.bellpto.org/store to view the items, sizes and prices. You can order and pay online too. Alternatively, you can download and print a paper order form or visit the front desk at Upper Bell to pick one up next week.
Orders need to be in by the end of school on MONDAY MAY 22, 2017. This will ensure you get your new items early June. Any questions can be emailed to Annika Phenix at Annika_phenix@yahoo.com.
Big thanks to Annika for doing an awesome job of running Spirit Wear this school year and for selecting a really great range of clothing. We hope you love it too!
The annual Staff Appreciation Lunch, organised and run by the PTO and parents of Bell School, will take place on Thursday June 1st. We need help with setting up, serving and clearing down, preparing food and supplying drinks, coolers and other equipment. Please check out the sign-up genius for more details and to volunteer! Thank you!
What will the funds raised from the Fun Run be put towards? There are three areas of focus.
Technology: iPads have become a welcome tool within the curriculum at Bell School. In order to support the growing demands, the school is in need of additional iPads. Part of the funds will go towards this purchase.
Playground: Last winter the PTO sent out a survey to parents asking what level of focus we should take on the Upper Bell Playground. The majority response was that we should do some minor upgrades while we wait to understand the direction the Gerry Feasibility Study was headed in. Based on this feedback, we have identified some items that will enhance the playground’s current state. These items include a stage, tetherball pole, plinko game and a standing musical chime. These are just very preliminary ideas, but options that would add a little fun for the children of Bell School.
Field Day, 3rd Grade Celebration: Additional funds will be used towards the fun, year end activities the PTO plans for your student. This includes the very popular Field Day and the 3rd Grade Celebration.
We have received several entries into our ‘Most Creative Fundraising’ category for the Fun Run. Here are some examples of some very creative fundraising by Bell Students this year!
Mrs. Berg’s Kindergarten class had some adorable (and royal!) entrepreneurs!
Claire Henry shared with us what her son Ben has been doing to raise money from far away family and friends!
“Hello Bell School PTO!
Just wanted to share what Ben Henry is doing to help raise money for the fun run next week.
He’s made a little video message appeal which we’ve posted to his mom’s Facebook page. Check out https://www.facebook.com/
He’s been busy ‘training’ and we’ve been taking pictures to share with family and friends to encourage them to sponsor him! Here’s one attached!
We’ve set up a special fundraising page to hopefully attract lots of support from his home country of England. Below is the email we sent including the link.
Good luck everyone with the fundraising. Let’s hope we make that target!
For more information on the prize categories, please visit here.
Hello! Let’s hope the sunny days are here to stay! These last few weeks at school are packed with a whole load of different events and activities – starting with the Fun Run this week (scroll down for news on the amazing grand prize for raising the most money). None of these things are possible without the support and hands-on help of our wonderful parents and families. Please check below for our requests for help and new sign up links. We really do appreciate your help and involvement.
May 19 – Fundraiser at Orange Leaf for Odyssey of the Mind
May 20 – Spaghetti Gala Dinner Event for Odyssey of the Mind
May 22 – New Spirit Wear order deadline
June 1 – Staff Appreciation Luncheon, Bell School. Sign up open!
June 9 – PTO General Meeting, 8.30am, Bell School
June 13 – 17 – Next Magic Hat Week!
June 15 – Fine Arts Night, Bell School
June 16 – Field Day, Bell School
June 22 – 3rd Grade celebration, Bell School
June 23 – Last day of school – NOON dismissal!
LOST & FOUND: There are LOTS of items waiting to be reclaimed in lost & found! Please come and take a look through the things in the lobby at Upper Bell. We will also bring these items down to the Fun Run on Thursday for you to look through. We will be donating unclaimed items to the Magic Hat next week.
‘PLASMACARS‘: In preparation for Field Day on Friday June 16, we’re currently checking through all our equipment. Do you have any old ride on ‘plasmacars‘ you can donate? If so, we’ll gladly take them off your hands and will use them for this and future field days! Please contact us at email@example.com and we’ll arrange to collect them. Thank you!
MAGIC HAT: We’re currently working towards our next 180+ hour target, which runs through to October 2017. Over the month of April, Bell School managed to clock up just over 13 hours. Thank you to those of you who volunteered! Our next designated week runs from June 13-17. We’ll be sending out a sign up genius shortly. Please do continue to drop in whenever you can – you do not have to wait for our designated week to volunteer. With the summer vacation looming – it’s critical we build up as many hours as we can before school ends! As well as our own PTO-run prize draws, which are designed to attract and reward regular volunteers, the Magic Hat are also running a monthly volunteer raffle. Each time you volunteer, you can enter the raffle. Just fill in a form when you sign in. The Hat is also looking for donations of small furniture items as well as clothing, shoes, toys and housewares so please remember them when donating!
BOX TOPS: Miss Babbitt’s class won the Spring Box Tops drive! The class will choose a reward with their teacher for bringing in the most tokens. We are very close to reaching our school-wide Spring goal of $350! If you have any tokens at home, bring them into school this week! There’s a collection box at the reception desk at Upper Bell. Thank you.
ART QUEST VISIT: Yesterday, 3rd Graders where treated to a visit by ‘Art Quest’ as part of the cultural enrichment program. They were presented with a seminar on the ‘Art of Massachusetts’, where they looked at paintings and engravings from colonial times through the late 19th Century. Through looking at the images, the students were able to get an appreciation of what daily life was like at the time as well as learn about key moments and events in history. On June 14, all grades will be treated to a visit by the Tanglewood Marionettes, courtesy of the Cultural Enrichment Committee. This has always been a favorite for our students (and teachers!) in the past, so we are happy that we were able to find a time for them to come before school ends for the summer!
FUN RUN 2017: The Fun Run takes place this Thursday, May 18, right after school on the Lower Bell Black Top. We can’t wait to see all the runners in their blue Fun Run t-shirts! We hope your kids have been enjoying putting some practice in and also gathering any sponsors. There are some great prizes up for grabs too – including a grand prize of 4 TICKETS TO A RED SOX GAME for the person who raises the most money overall! Other prize categories include: Donation from the farthest point from Marblehead; Most number of donations; Most creative ways of raising sponsorship and also Most money raised by grade. Sponsorship money can be handed in on the day or paid online via www.bellpto.org/sponsor. If you didn’t register your child, but want to come and support and cheer on the runners, please do! It’s a fun event and there’ll be plenty of things to get involved with, including the Organic Garden’s seed planting activity.
PTO MEETING: Our next meeting, when we’ll need people to vote on new board members, updated by-laws and end of year expenses, will be on Friday June 9 at 8.30am. We’re also looking for more people to get involved in PTO stuff! There are lots of different roles – small and big. Please let us know if you’re interested in finding out more. Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be arranging an information/coffee morning towards the end of May – watch out for the date!
ODYSSEY OF THE MIND: Bell School has two teams from this year’s Odyssey of the Mind program attending the World Finals in Michigan at the end of this month. Please help support their fundraising by:
– Visiting them on the Lower Bell Black Top after school this week – today, Wednesday and Friday and purchase a Bell School wristband or lanyard. They’ll also be selling tickets to the Spaghetti Gala Dinner on Saturday.
– Head to Orange Leaf Marblehead on Friday May 19, 2pm – 5pm and enjoy a froyo after school. 50% of total sales will be donated to the cause.
– On Saturday May 20 there’ll be a great opportunity for the whole family to enjoy a fabulous evening of Italian food, fun and prizes at the Marblehead Masonic Temple, from 5pm. Tickets are $10 per person/$25 per family. For more information, see our website.
Have a great week!
Thank you again for registering your child for the Bell School Fun Run! We are excited for this event and hope you and your child are, too. To make the afternoon easier, below are some tips to help you and your child during the event.
- Date & Location: This Thursday, May 18th at the Lower Bell blacktop area. (This is the area that most classrooms have pick-up.)
- Check-in starts at 2:30.
- Check-in closes at 2:50, so be sure to check in shortly after pick-up.
- The Fun Run will start by 3:00.
- Check-In: Check-in tables will be located near the basketball hoop on the Lower Bell blacktop. Check-in will be done by last name. Check signage for the proper line. Each child will receive a race number to wear. Please be patient! We will do our best to check all 190 runners in as quickly as possible.
- Donations: Donation envelopes will be collected at the check-in tables. Online donations can be done at bellpto.org/sponsor. We would love all donations to be in by May 31st.
- Pre-Fun Run Snack: The Organic Garden has graciously donated organic fruit for the children to eat before the Fun Run! Their table will be located next to check-in. Feel free to bring a snack from home, if you would like.
- Backpacks: Please hold or store backpacks in your car during the event. We won’t have space to store them and want to avoid losing such a needed item!
- Race Start:
- After check-in, children will be directed to go to the middle of the track to wait for instruction.
- Once they receive instruction, they will be directed to a specific corner of the blacktop where they will be grouped by grade.
- They will start and finish the run at this corner. Balloons with the grade number printed on them will identify the corners.
- Each race number has a sticker with a matching color to the balloons.
- During the Event: Feel free to stand outside of the course and cheer!
- Water Stations: We will have two water stations at the event for the Fun Runners so that they won’t need to bring water with them. Please keep your Fun Run Water Bottle at home as a keepsake!
- After the Event: After 30 minutes, an announcer will tell the children that the Fun Run is about to end. After passing over the finish line and receiving a small prize, the runners will be directed back to their starting corner. They will be given a juice bar and will wait for you to come and check them out.
- Organic Garden Seed Planting: To help celebrate National Outdoor Classroom Day, the Organic Garden will have a seed planting activity for siblings located by the Lower Bell playground. Please be sure to visit!
- Bathrooms: Bathrooms are located within Lower Bell.
- Clothes/Shoes: Be sure your child is wearing comfortable clothing and sneakers the day of the Fun Run. Wearing the Fun Run t-shirt is a great idea!
- Sunscreen: Bring sunscreen if your child might need it.
- After School Activities: If your child participates in an after school activity (i.e., Coach Karl, etc.), please be sure to let your teacher know of the change in plan for pick-up. This way we avoid confusion.
Most of all, have fun! If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.